Total Pageviews

Monday, July 14, 2008

It isn't easy being geeky

I have offended someone who I wished to reconnect with. It's been ten years. I wanted everyone to know where we all stood so that no one could say "I didn't know." I also, honestly answered some questions. I should have lied? I think so. But I am a geek. If there is no honesty then there is no math, no quantum anything. If there is no quanta then there is no Universe. It is a simple equation that I have to insist on in all my interactions: Know me, Know you, or there is no Us.

I may be a bit overzealous in assuring that everyone is on the same page. I have, in the past, gone along quite merrily thinking that everything is just fine only to have my canoe tip midstream in a fast current without a lifejacket. I don't intend to venture into unknow waters unprepared again.

I have read in the Globe that bookish people have better social skills. I have always been under the impression that the bookworm is the one who gets eaten first because it can't see beyond the edge of a page. I am more empathic and can predict events and reactions because I read. Star Trek books are great for that because Deanna gets to do more than just stand around looking pensive or worried. And I knew I ran the risk of offending but I had to take the chance. I didn't want things to go bad again. But now they will never go anywhere.

It isn't easy being geeky even now that geek is cool. Cooler? Not the coolest but close.

No comments:

Post a Comment