Total Pageviews

Monday, July 28, 2008

Beading Rainbow

I made a day trip to Honor and Beulah today. It is my yearly trip to C&M Rock Shop and the Beading Frenzy. I was hoping to find many wonderful tokens of mother Earth's appreciation to use in my Interchangeable Chokers. I found a ring setting and a few very nice stones. The selection was rather thin in the polished stones department. At only (price redacted) the make quite a nice impression. I usually choose stones that will allow me a lot of freedom in color matching. This usually means agates of some kind. I did find a gorgeous piece of tiger eye that had green blended into it. I didn't buy it because I knew I had nothing at home to match it in visual texture or colorization. All in all, I never feel like I've wasted a trip even if it is a short trip. Today I did. There was a huge bowl of peridot stones. Itty bitty little things. They weren't drilled. They were useless for jewellery. I was hoping to finally get to the Jack O'Neill inspired piece. Alas... not this year.

The Beading Frenzy was quite a nice surprise. They've moved buildings and the prices reflect that new additional overhead smell. But I found some really great pieces. First, the findings. There are great new clasp and string sets with magnetic closures. No way can hair get stuck in those(Big Grin) and they are lightweight with excellent tensile strength (Bigger Grin). And at (price redacted) they are a good deal for regular necklaces. I was hoping to find the same thing in anklet lengths. But I think that I will have to buy just the magnetic parts. The one kind that I did like a lot for it's ease of use has two holes to run the stringing material through. The larger hole is covered by the opposing magnet so that all you have to do is tie a knot in the string. Then you pull the string through to bury the knot inside the barrel of the clasp. Nice, uncomplicated and definitely not messy. I will most likely have to make another trip out there as I don't know that Nawbin carries either kind of finding. BF also had snakeskin something or other and I found something called denim coral. It is a fully saturated coral the color of jeans. Wow what a concept. It am thinking to do a seaside motif with them as I found seahorse charms. I know, very obvious. But what it not so obvious is the inspiration for the design floating behind my eyeballs.
One of the head pins had a flat spiral design that I thought would make a nice "Under the Sea" motif while I have the Greek pantheon in mind again (see Sherrilynn Kenyon's works). Unfortunately the gauge of the pin wouldn't allow me to string the denim coral on it. So I will have to buy a chasing hammer and make my own. Now the next question I have... did Fredo take Grampa's small anvil when he took the grinding wheel so that I couldn't sharpen the mower blades? Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Well, see ya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment