Total Pageviews

Friday, November 26, 2010

Mother Necessity, where would we be?

When, I wonder is a crazy idea a good idea? One can look at Martha Stewart and Paula Dean's stories and say those crazy ideas were good ideas. Necessity, ever the mother of invention, caused them to find the thing in themselves that was worth the investment of time and patience, to get out and tell the world why the world needed them. Necessity bore multimillion dollar businesses from talent that already existed.

I am in the cradle of necessity now. What will the Mother invent? I have a resource that I have not tapped. I can produce samples, distribute them to local outlets and see what happens. Is it the right way to go? I do not feel so self conscious about this resource because it does not come from me like my art does. My art is me and I can not tell anyone that they NEED my art. Wanting art is one thing. Needing it is another. Fulfilling need is what business is about. So that is where I am going to go. My resource is from the family archives, it is full of rich tradition and has been absent for years... decades really.

My contribution is in the marketing, packaging and promoting. I can bring this old bit from the ancestors into the present.

And as with all endeavors since my first, I am scared out of my mind that I will fail. But I have something no one in this town has and I have the local connections to make it really special. I just have to be willing to put myself out there. But in truth, I am putting my grandpa out there.

11 22 2010
I am still scared. And I think that this is a crazy idea. But if no one ever tried anything crazy we wouldn't have planes, trains, autos and space shuttles. Am I ever going to be a multi million dollar entrepreneur with this idea? Maybe. Right now I'd jsut settle for being able to pay the bills and not sleep in my car.

2 comments:

  1. My name is Fred Gerbstadt ... you can reach me at Fred.Gerbstadt@verizon.net. Almost all info you give on the Gerbstadt family is correct ... however there are a few (minor) things that need correction. I can send you more info.. like a history written by my aunt Emma (daughter of Emile and Fredericka). I am the son of Hugo.

    By the way the crest has a Star of David on it... does this mean that there is a Jewish heritage? Or is it that the star is an old decoration like the pentagram which is sometimes used without any religious significance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fred. OMGosh I am so excited to be able to talk to you. I was contacted by Ernas family but had not had the funds to use the phone or make a trip. And like I've said in the blog... life got very busy.

    I will contact you via email. But wanted to leave a note here too. I know that my gramma Ada was Jewish. Found that out when my dad died. What I do not know is if Alfred was. I have a couple of theories. One such is that after the gerbstadts were enobled... however that happened... that they may have befriended the Jews and the symbo on the shield may have indicated safety. I don't know that for sure.

    ReplyDelete