Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 29, 2010

On Intelligence

Of course after Riker defends Maddox's claims against Data, we all know what 5 traits characterize a sentient being. But do we really have any idea what intelligence is? It never occurred to me that I don't know how to define or describe it so much as I know it when I see things that are unintelligent. As I am reading Goedel, Escher, Bach (GEB) I see there is a lot in the world around me, in fact in Geekdom, that I take for granted. And things that I ignored as being non essential to my corner of this little realm. For instance, Hofstader outlines some descriptions of intelligence. I am listing them here for you to think about with this preface:

"... to suggest a sharp borderline exists is probably silly. But essential abilities for intelligence are certainly:..." that is between intelligent and non-intelligent.

to respond to situations very flexibly

to take advantage of fortuitous circumstance

to make sense out of ambiguous or contradictory messages

to recognize the relative importance of different elements of a situation

to find similarities between situations despite differences which may separate them

to draw distinctions between situations despite similarities which may link them

to synthesize new concepts by taking old concepts and putting them together in new ways

to come up with ideas which are novel

What the author doesn't do is say how many of these things a person has to have to have true intelligence. But then, that isn't the aim of the book. The book discusses formal systems and informal systems, logic and illogical and the conundrums inherent in the search for AI. It isn't his job to tell us if we are smart or how smart we are. So I look at this and know that he is talking about the differences between animate and inanimate processes. I know that he is talking about how we think and not the what. It isn't a judgement, nor a case for him to be granted the arduous task of judging the readership. That, I take upon myself.

I look at his list of recognisable traits to signify an intelligent process with only the small grain of salt that says "I'm not dead so I'm still learning." and I look at myself.

Do I respond with flexibility? It depends on the circumstance. I'm pretty quick to poo poo any change at work because I like regularity. I'm not so hung up on getting a yes from a guy that I have to obsess over one. Yeah... well that HAS changed, thank you very much. And is a post of another color! I'm not very flexible with my finances though. I do have a rigid learned behavior that is quite difficult to over come. And, honestly, I choose not to overcome it. I choose a kind of selfishness in that respect. And that gets me into trouble. So not intelligent with money. semi intelligent with work. And fairly smart about letting things go rather than wallow in futility... is that a .01 out of 1?

Taking advantage of Fortuna? Well, if she'd ever grace my life with her presence that would be easier to answer. I had a great career that disappeared when I added an unstable element to my life. I did learn from that. +1. I have quit a job because of pride -1. I've been self employed and had great cash flow but didn't invest wisely -1. And I have allowed myself to be talked into something that I didn't want to do by choosing the "easy" out and not sticking to my guns. -1. I'm losing ground faster than I'm gaining it. And fear has kept me from leaping at some art choices that could have yielded something better than the run-of-the-mill job I have -1.

Making sense out of ambiguity? Riiiiight! Yeah, I'm counting HIM. -1. But let's give some credit for figuring out what the obtuse and oblique messages from so-called friends really were +3. And I usually don't get suckered by a scam. So +1 for not getting a sub-prime loan (we will not talk about Goldman Sachs here); -1 for investing in the stock market instead of myself like Suze Orman recommended; +3 for learning not to talk to certain types of people. and +1 for being able to see crazy eyes in a guy or a girl.

Recognizing the importance of elements in a situation. Check. I'm very good at that when it comes to someone elses problems. Mine all seem like a herd of white elephants in the room. And I'm good at it in art. My essays used to be a lot tighter but dry. So in that regard I am walking a fine line. Empathy is like a cheat code when it comes to emotions. But I have a hard time trying to separate emotional need from physical need. Now that I think of it though... why do I think that there is a hierarchy there? Why should the emotional need mean less than the physical? Hmm....
So, onto the next.

I do find similarities in disparate circumstance. Mayan Kings sharing phonetic qualities of Babylonian kings is that latest hair-brained thought. I can see differences in seemingly similar situations. You know like knowing that ACG's girl displays significant behaviors indicating interest than the flimsy excuses I saw in my hoped-for. They behave similarly but with distinct differences which made one of the sets a couple and the other set bitter enemies. Oooh guess which category I fell into. One guess... it's why I no have a Spear and Magic Helmet.

And I can synthesize like nobodies business. The Encyclopedia is like a giant box of puzzle pieces that I get to shape and assemble any way I want to. I have quite an agile mind. What it produces of marketable value I don't know. I don;t even know that it needs to be marketable so much as keep me from being some dupe for every flim flam man that comes along.

Novel ideas. I know he doesn't mean plots for a dime novel spine-tingler. I've got plots and heroes aplenty. Heroines and dialogue galore. You want diabolical motives? I've got 20! But who cares no big deal.... this means something more. * He must mean innovation. And to me, as I see how my friend Michelle innovates, there is an element of intuition or inspiration inherent in the ability to innovate. Of course if necessity is the Mother of Invention and that is what he means then it means that I live a cautious life that affords little opportunity to invent. Wait!!! +1 I can MacGyver crap when I don't have the right tool for the job. But again... nothing I can market.

So, as I ponder these concepts and my crude evaluation I see that I have an average overall intelligence. Nothing special in this brain. Do you see the same thing that I see in my own words? I am looking at only a partial list for one thing. I haven't the space to be eHarmony specific. But the other thing that I notice is that I am looking for a specific kind of intelligence. The whole thing boils down to marketability. Great book smarts but practical smarts are rather mundane. I'm not going to take over Wall Street with this brain. And I don't want to. I just want to keep Wall Street from eating me alive... with relish. I don't think I'm objective. And as self awareness can not be kept out of any discussion of the systems that Hofstader posits, I wonder if it is the self aware part that makes a strange loop strange. I look at me and everything gets skewed by some kind of filter. If I look at me through the art filter I have high intelligence. Money filter? Not so much. If I look at my ability to counsel outside of my self and self interest then I am proficient. when it involves me I am not.

So that act of observing the self changes results? There are a lot of physicists who think so. But can the results change so drastically? And what about learning from past missteps? That doesn't really make Hofstader's list. Actually his list looks at the process and not the result though results are implied. And................. I am starting to get a Mobius headache.

So thoughts? Questions? Insights? How did you fare looking at your own intelligence through the eyes of a mathelogical checklist?

*If you have a Little Mermaid song in your head it isn't my fault. It means that you've watched that movie at least as many times as I have and that your mind is just as agile... and wonky as mine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment