Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Isisgate

I have been asked a billion times now what Isisgate means. So here we go...

I am a huge stargate fan. When I got into cyber space and needed a codename for the places that I go and didn't want sherola I thought about the things that reflected my interest at the time. So invoking the great chappa ai was a given. But what else goes with the gate? Something Egyptian obviously. And it was obvious that I'd have to chose Isis. She didn't get any real air time in Stargate. And as a child, Isis was my hero. Joanna Cameron played Isis/Andrea Thomas in the Secrets of Isis. It was a formative influence on me.
So here I am thinking I have made a name truly unique to me and my interests until I google the name and find a band in the LA area with the same name. Then as I kept going through my life with this moniker I found references to real life places. For instance, high in the hills above Galilee there is a pass into the mountains heading toward Qumran (dead sea scrolls local). The pass is reinforced with a gate that once had majestic lioness heads above it. It is the Isis gate. Sure, I was surprised that there was such a reference in the real world. But then again... my entire geek life is full of sychronistic things like this.
Tonight, since so many people have asked and i looked at google again, I have found a scientific computer analyst system called ISIS Gate, a video game that features a labyrinthine Isis gate puzzle and something infinitely more interesting to me than anything else: Pompeii.

Published in 1835 by the British print house of Saunders and Otley in London and Smith and Son in Glasgow, the Metropolitan Magazine makes mention of an Isis gate on page 58.
A German journal states the following as recent discoveries at Pompeii. In the street lately opened from the Temple of fortune to the Gate of Isis and passing nearly through the middle of town, (says our informant), on reaching a central point, where streets diverge from the theaters to the city walls, there has been found an altar, placed before the protecting genius of the place, in the form of a serpent.

I guess I am not the only one that was enamored of the lady. I know why I chose Isis for myself. Besides Joanna Cameron's portrayal of honesty, integrity and stewardship there is all that she stood for to the ancient Egyptians. She was the goddess of magic, sensuality, fertile loins and in some ways seduction. But she is also the epitome of loyalty. No matter how horrendous her life was because of her siblings treatment of her husband, the fatiguing task of retrieving her husband's body parts from across the globe... she never gave up on Osiris. She remained faithful to him forever, always believing that she would be reunited with him in one life or another.
In the modern New Age interpretations of Isis the deity, woman embrace her as the symbol and example of the wild passionate woman within that begged to be let out and explored. The magic that we hold inside out of fear; the strength that we curtail in the name of peacekeeping and maintaining the status quo; the ability to embrace our sexual appetites and express them with confidence and compassion is embodied in this woman/goddess.
She is the key to unlocking the things that I have repressed. At least I hope she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment