Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Foodie Fun

Researching German foods lately. This means that there is little time for meto blog. But I will tell you that the concept of being able to have a full kitchen to use this Summer is turning my tummy 7 kinds of excited. Here is what I anticipate making over the next few weeks:

Pretzel Bread and Rolls
Red Cabbage with Fennel and Apple
Red Cabbage Slaw
Rustic Plum Tart
Wurst and Kase Rouladen: which is Cold cuts, cheese and spices rolled in pastry dough, sliced and baked on a cookie sheet. Yum! Yum!
Pork Sausage with Leek Relish as sliders: imagine that on a pretzel roll. THAT'S! what I'm talking about.
Sultana Struedel
Lebkuchen
and sauerbraten


I can not wait. I am most excited to try out the science of the salt bath prior to baking a pretzel and to see if I can get a tenderly crisp slaw that is vinegary, a little peppery and leaves some sweetness in your mouth. Oh... and the making of my own pork sausage mix after seeing somethings that Chef Robert Irvine has done on Restraunt Impossible.

There is also a product called Quark. I know. My first thought was that someone finally chopped up that little Ferengi bastard. But... no. Quark is a soft, creamy sweet cheese that can be used for desserts or herbed dipping sauces. To me it looks like the same consistency as a homemade whipped cream. Before I can try it I will have to find it. Apparently we don't have real German deli's or grocers in Michigan any more. Somehow that does not surprise me. Sad yes. Surprised no.

I promise pictures.
And many foodie entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment