Total Pageviews

Friday, September 20, 2013

New Tech: Evernote

I am not entirely certain any more where I heard about Evernote. But what I heard was impressive. Impressive enough for me to download the thing and start working with it. I do like it a lot. It is a cloud computing service. I thought maybe it was just another writing software.... some things do not stand out as obvious to me in the technical world. And that little bit of info was one such thing.

Evernote and its sister app Skitch work in tandem for you to do some web surfing and reporting so for a blogger it is pretty easy to keep things flowing. Of course while I am learning this other things are going to suffer.... the writing of official posts for one. Catching up on e-mail for two.

Evernote promises to make NaNoWriMo better for me this year. As in easy to keep track of what I am doing or not doing as the case may be.

My only concern, as with anything that has to do with the ease of accessibility on the internet given what we know about the NSA, is security. They say that I can lock up certain files so the things don't get stolen. But well......

I don't trust the government to keep my stuff secret. They are so busy handing over our personal information to their corporate friends, how do I know there isn't a back door into Evernote so that anyone with a vested interest in publishing can steal our material as it is being written? Okay. So maybe that isn't happening right now. But that does not mean that it won't. Marketing companies are already 3 thoughts into my head for knowing what to post on my gmail page for ads. So really..... I do not put it past them to sell us out. And it isn't like anyone has to read each and every entry. We live in a world of tags and tag specific searches so all you have to do is look for the key words of the hottest selling genre and put the NSA to work for a publisher to find the next Sherilynn Kenyon or Danielle Steele. Of course.... that is provided any of us who write really know anything about writing. I've seen some pretty wickedly bad things published lately. Grammar is dead apparently.

But aside from the future perfect dystopia I seem to envision lately, Evernote does look like a gem of a service.

No comments:

Post a Comment