Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

St George and the Dragonet



When we were kids, our grandparents took us for the weekend about twice a month. We got there Friday night, had dinner and wound down with the hi-fi. That is Hi-Fi, short for high fidelity stereo. We first would listen to the Comedy Caravan and then the Entertainer which is the soundtrack for the 1971 movie The Sting.
The Comedy Caravan was a lot of fun for us when we were kids. My favorites were Andy Griffiths bits. And the bits from Stan Freberg. He had three skits on the record. My favorite one of all is St. George and the Dragonet.



Stan Freberg was 88 when he passed away today, It would not be the first time that I was surprised that he has just now died. I thought he passed a long time ago. Perhaps that is due to the fact that I have always been cognoscente of the fact that my parents and Grandparents were older enough to have babysat the Prophet Moses. And so I thought that everything that they liked was as old as dirt too. Though that did not apply to And Griffith since I was watching him as Matlock. So perhaps I should not have been quick to assume that Stan Freberg was already gone. Still.... Allan Sherman was kinda old too... so I guess you never really know.

One of the reasons that I loved this skit is because we were watching Dragnet reruns. The other reason that I love it so much is because it is actually really funny. And from the age of 6 I always associated the dragon with William Shatner. Listen and you will see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment