Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Coolest Thing I've Seen on TV in a Long Lonnnnnnnnggggg Time

http://youtu.be/s7L2PVdrb_8

In the realm of gaming and television magic there is nothing quite equal to this opening title for the HBO show Game of Thrones. We've been watching Camelot which is a great story, with a great retelling so far. And it totally taps into the whole Ancient Emerald Isle vibe with the spirit of austerity that fits the times. Don't get me wrong. There is plenty of hope in Camelot evidenced in its design elements. But it is still spartan. When we sat down to watch the first episode of Game of Thrones this is what sold me.

You can't judge a book by its cover. But you can judge a TV show by its title card. The title seems like a no brainer stupid kind of thing and as such... since it isn't as important as the characters, plot and location, it seems to be treated as an after thought. But look at this thing!!!!! It is a work of art itself. The title is its own little movie... an unnarrated travelogue. How Cool Is That?!

I don't know if the boyfriend understands yet how this thrills me every time I see it. It is pure artistry so reflective of the human spirit to explore, build and conquer... to always be growing beyond the mean confines in which one finds oneself in any given moment that the fantasy realm in which this world is set could be real. Its a living expression of a world of people. It is movement and emotion... not just static models of what might have been but what is and yet is not and will yet come.

Wow.

If there is any time for you to carve out of your busy schedule for a TV show this should be the one you are watching.The characters and story telling are just as well done as the title card. And it all stays with you for hours after the final credits roll.

It makes me wish that Wizards and Warriors could be done now instead of the time when I was 11 and looking for my geek tribe under every rock and behind ever door in front of me.


And as a side note. I accidently watched this with "Manner sind Krieger" from Matthias Reim playing loud in my head. Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even more awesome when worlds collide. I can't even begin to describe the awesomeness. Took things from an Auld Englande feel to MiddleAges Germany in about a nanosecond. 
Wheew!

No comments:

Post a Comment