Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 9, 2015

+1 Tech Skills: Installing Fonts

I love fonts. I hate technology.

When I was in school adding fonts was a complicated process and I always ended up unable to access the fonts that I would add. It was an exercise in frustration and humiliation. The world is a much different place now. I am a different designer now.

Now I can add fonts to my cache!

Behold....

Thanks to PicMonkey's new newsletter I was able to find a foundry with some very cool fonts such as you see above. Font Freak is written in a GORGEOUS face called Caldera. Glyph Geek is swished in a font called Porcelain. And thanks to the handy dandy downloadable tutorial I was actually able to install these silly fonts.

I will warn you though. Sometimes the install button referred to in those instructions is not readily apparent. I just upgraded to Windows 10 which might have some thing to do with when the install button shows up. If it doesn't appear in the pop up menu when you right click then go to where you saved the download. I keep it easy and leave it all in the download file. Once you unzipp the compressed files view the font file itself. When you view the file the install button is in a header at the top of the file that shows you the sample font.

I don't have anything more fancy than Word. I'm cheap like that. I refuse to buy a fancy processing program separately. Because I use PicMonkey I can get away with Word as a repository for fonts. PicMonkey is able to use fonts in your local word processor. When you open their text app to add words to your design there are two columns. "OURS" & "YOURS". Your fonts are in the "YOURS" folder.

But here is a trick. When you install the fonts you will want to open the program that you do your word processing with. That makes them stick so to speak. Its like hitting refresh. Once you have opened it and your processing program knows you have new fonts then PicMonkey will be able to read it to.

Life is good when you freshen the fonts a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment