Total Pageviews

Monday, November 30, 2015

A Taste of Winter

Just before Thanksgiving, a touch of snow fell across Northern Michigan. We had the dusting that was predicted. The newly planted Knock out Roses got a powdery coating. The house has shown where its defenses against chill are weakest. The candles are coming out of storage and migrating in from Bath and Body Works. Thoughts have turned to Christmas decorations.

I live in a home that doesn't really do trees. I found a tinsel spiral tree for 5 dollars at ALDI last year and that was enough for us. We threw bulbs up in the tree out doors and that has been as "Merry and Bright" as we get for any of the holidays. My housemate works two jobs, her kid is in college and I spent my energy at work. Our house is also rather dark.

One remedy for the darkness has been to tear down the makeshift window treatments. Now that I am on the west end of the house and need the cooler room for the menopause flashes, that is not the horrible thing it could be. I am in the end of the house where all the light is. Three banks of window triplets. The front is a bay window. So of course what I want to do is a Bergdorf inspired window display. And I don't want to spend a lot of money to do it.

I also want to limit my palette. This knock out rose inspired frosty glittery goodness. Hot pink is definitely out. I have a few things around the house at the moment and all I really need is fishing line, cup hooks, some dowels, plastic wrap, and a can of spray paint. Oh and of course.... window shrink wrap to seal it all into the bay window.
What I have are

  • 3 white paper lanterns
  • a peacock garden statue
  • 2 strings of LED silver balls (very Bollywood)
  • 2 boxes of chandelier crystals
  • 2 sets of icicles
  • 6 lighted trees in urns
  • 1 decorated lighted tree in an urn
And a whole lotta Pintrest ideas to wade  through. 

Before I do anything though I need to get out and clean out my car so that I can wade through storage and bring some of that stuff out. We are expecting ice and snow today so I want to have the car loaded and home after my day with friends today. That way I can get this all done tomorrow on my day off. Right... off to the hardware store then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment